Below are some questions that we get frequently.  Hopefully they are helpful.  If you have a question that you don't see on the list, please feel free to email us or call us in the office!

What is a town right of way?

A right of way is a type of easement granted or reserved over the land for transportation purposes, this can be for a highway, public footpath, rail transport, canal, as well as electrical transmission lines, oil and gas pipelines.

How big is the town right of way?

The town's right of way varies significantly from parcel to parcel.

How do I find out the size of the right of way on my property?

The size of the right of way on your property can be determined from your survey.  If you do not have one, you can obtain a copy from the Building Department.

How does the Highway Department determine what trees to trim or cut down?

The Highway Department will only cut down DEAD TREES within the Town's right of way.  It is ILLEGAL for the Highway Department to perform any work on private property.  However, we may trim branches from a privately owned tree that have encroached on the Town's right of way.

Why haven't I seen a snow plow yet?

We plow and salt main roads and bus routes first.  Once we have opened these roads, we will then move into secondary roads and dead ends.  It can take a few hours for one of our trucks to get through it's area.  Sit tight, they will be there shortly.

What is the difference between a Town road and a State road?

Any road that has a number (35, 100, 118 etc.) is a State road.  These roads are maintained by the NYSDOT.  All of the roads within the Town of Somers that do not contain a number in the name are Town roads.